What is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening is a treatment used to remove stains and make the teeth appear whiter. A bleaching agent is applied to the teeth that lightens discoloration, making the teeth many shades whiter in just one in-office treatment or in a few weeks of at-home treatment.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening provides many benefits:
- Fast results. Teeth whitening can provide a dramatic difference in a short amount of time. In-office bleaching produces noticeable results in a single treatment. At-home bleaching takes a few weeks to produce results, but it allows you to customize your whitening.
- Effective. Professional teeth whitening is more effective than products you can purchase from the store or order online. You’ll get better results from our whitening treatment than you will from whitening toothpastes, strips, wands, or other items.
- Improved smile. When your teeth are whiter, your smile looks better. Although discoloration of the teeth is normal and is not necessarily an indicator of dental problems, yellow teeth appear less healthy.
- Gentle on teeth. Professional teeth whitening treatment uses an effective but mild bleaching agent that won’t cause sensitivity or damage your enamel.
We provide two types of teeth whitening treatment:
- In-office treatment. In-Office Bleaching usually requires only one office visit. A protective gel or a rubber shield is placed over the gums to protect the soft tissue. A bleaching agent containing carbamide peroxide is applied to the teeth, and a specialized light is then used to enhance the action of the whitening agent. This is the fastest way to achieve results.
- At-home treatment. At-Home bleaching requires an impression of the teeth to be taken to make a customized mouth guard to hold the whitening gel, containing carbamide peroxide, against the teeth. Once the mouth guard is made, it is worn for a period of time, as instructed by our office. The amount of time may vary from a couple hours a day, or all night, to up to four weeks or longer, if desired.
Are You a Good Candidate for Teeth Whitening?
If your teeth are in good condition but have become discolored over time, you may be a good candidate for teeth whitening treatment. Whitening works best on natural tooth enamel that is clean and free of plaque. Your dentist will provide you with a thorough teeth cleaning before applying whitening treatment. Some severe stains may be too difficult to remove with teeth whitening and may require cosmetic bonding or veneers to conceal.
Why Choose the Ricco Dental Group?
The Ricco Dental Group is a judgment free dental practice providing a comprehensive range of services. We are a family dental practice serving patients of all ages. Dr. Ricco and his dental team are highly qualified, providing patients with professional, friendly service at every appointment. We provide a comfortable, relaxing environment where you can get the dental care you need without stress.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the bleaching agent used in professional teeth whitening?
Carbamide peroxide is the active ingredient in professional teeth whitening treatment. It is safe and effective, providing dramatic results you can see in one or a few treatments.
How long does teeth whitening last?
The results of your teeth whitening treatment may last an average of 1-3 years depending on your habits. If you consume a lot of teeth staining foods and beverages, such as coffee, tea, red wine, and dark berries, you may find that your results won’t last as long. Applying touch-ups periodically at home can help your results last longer.
Is teeth whitening covered by insurance?
Teeth whitening is considered to be a cosmetic procedure because it improves the appearance of your teeth but does not benefit your dental health. Cosmetic procedures are not typically covered by dental insurance.
Can I get teeth whitening treatment if I have a dental crown?
Teeth whitening treatment does not remove stains from dental crowns, but professional whitening can be customized to match your existing crown.